plaid mad...bad... glad


There's nothing for it- the end result of months of watching a bevy of bright plaids pass before my eyes has led to a brief run on the darn things.  I've mostly kept to a budget, but it sure is tough!  I've been eyeing the above blazer for months at Target, and I've got to say it's pretty representative of why Target has failed utterly in Canada.  For the most part, the reason Target lost eager customers like me was with huge inventory problems- most of the time the shelves were either empty or unchanging.  I saw this blazer months ago and liked it, but not for $40.  I would occasionally wander in, but the blazer was always there and still at full price.  After Christmas, I was sure it would finally be marked down somewhat, and yet no clearance signs, no sale signs on anything.  I looked at the tag closer and suddenly realized that camouflaged against the red tag was a clearance tag and the blazer had actually been marked down multiple times!  Just never advertised or clearly marked as such!  Anyway, I finally got it for $11.50, so uh, I guess that's all right :)  It seems like such a shame for Target to waste so much time and money and fail utterly at the basics of retailing.  You'd go in and see rows and rows of empty shelves, or the same brand of over-priced paper towel. Sigh.  Maybe I can benefit from a clearance sale and score a mint-coloured Kitchenaid mixer. Cross your fingers for me!


Not only am I a sucker for plaids, but throw in the unusual contrast of diaphanous chiffon and basic browns and I'm an easy mark.  I usually try and stay away from Etsy since there's so much temptation, but I'm very pleased with this timeless number.  I do appreciate the ease of care in vintage polyester pieces- they're great for everyday and for travelling.  I guess it bothers me more in new pieces because the textures aren't as good, and I also think you shouldn't have to pay premium prices for materials you can find at Forever 21.  While we're at it, how about a shout out to this cropped linen blazer I found at Gap 10 years ago for $20.  That's staying power!



Yeah, I know, this isn't really a plaid, but this old mod geometric number is a favourite and an example of vintage man-made fabrics that perfectly suit the style of garment and make for great everyday pieces.  I always end up wearing it with this J Crew necklace because they're totally made for each other. I don't make the decisions around here, I guess.



Whew- this coat kinda says it all! It's my splurge of the season, but I haven't had a new winter coat for a few years and they really don't make them like they used to!  I was watching a 30s movie over the holidays and a random secretary in the background was wearing a stunning plaid wool coat.  I basically squealed aloud and spent a few days searching Etsy for inspiration.  Instead I came across this beauty on instagram and I'm so glad I made the leap.  It's beautiful and unique and makes trudging out into the winter landscape a more enjoyable experience!

Pretty soon I'll probably start hankering after spring florals, but in the meantime I have some nice plaids to keep me warm.  And hey, I can even mix the two, right?!

Comments