hard-working shirtdresses!

Vintage Black striped shirtdress, J Crew Traversa cardigan, UO belt, Indigo booties
Jess recently ran a few posts asking people to nominate some of their hardest-working garments for a little blog-love.  One of my standby's for the last few years have been classic cotton 50's shirtdresses, once found on ebay for a song, sometimes with tags still attached, but a bit more of a challenge since the arrival of the Mad Men era!

This simple black shirtdress is such an unassuming, quietly-striped number that I guess it hasn't ever been featured on this blog.  However it's such an easy standby that when I travel it's often a first choice for its versatility.  Last year I traveled to Frankfurt and Venice for 2 weeks with only carry-on to get me through (2 dresses, a pair of cords, a skirt, 2 t-shirts and a cardigan, plus a smattering of coloured scarves) and so this baby was a perfect selection- able to dress up or down, neither too light or heavy.  

I was cracking up while going through the vacation photos- it actually just looks like my BF was stalking me through my favourite city from a safe distance (when I really wish he would have just asked me to straighten my scarf)!! 

We really do have several pictures with us together in this gloriously beautiful city!  I think my dream job is to drop everything and be a chauffeur in Venice (motor boats chugging slowly through the canals, my own secret garden off the water...sigh...)

Comments

  1. I can see why you nominated the dress, its a perfect little number! The pictures of your vacation are lovely(that green jacket is awesome)! I went to Italy last summer(lugging a 75 lb bag, next time I will take a cue from you)but missed Venice! Oh well, it gives me an excuse to go back, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweeet, sweet dress. Loving your big green bag.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your green bag! And I love that dress. It looks great in all the photos! I lol'd at the notion of your photos seeming like your partner was actually a stalker. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice Sarah, Love the handbag. I love all of your pictures.They are so beautiful & I bet it was great being there as well, I am afraid to say I haven't really gone to far from where I live except to the Pyramids in Mexico and Puebla in Mexico as well. My brother is Stationed in Hawaii :) Just got assigned there after coming back from serving a year in Bagdad. So I am definitely planning a trip to Hawaii :) And I know I always say this but your clothing is THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is a perfect workhorse for you, it looks great! The pictures from trip are great! I really need to travel to Europe one day I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress and beautiful photos! Like Minnesota Maven, I need to take advice from you when it comes to packing. One carry-on for 2 weeks? That is impressive! I always take way too much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I wish I had garments that were this well traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy, i miss Venice - incredible place it is with the canals and historical buildings and churches. These pictures of you in Venice brought a smile to my face - you look like you had a wonderful time on vacay!
    Love your outfit too - I can definitely see Mad Mad written all over the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Venice....I've only been there once, without my man. I'm thinking a much needed re-visit's in order...your pics are making me seriously nostalgic. And your packing skills are no joke! True, that dress is def a work horse. P.s. I want your green bag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. like everyone else already said- the green bag is AWESOME! I like the shirtdress too- so cute and a versatile piece!

    Your pictures are making me terribly jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks guys- I love, love the green of the bag, though unfortunately it's so extremely sensitive to any water discoloration! (um, and everything gets lost in its cavernous depths...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a lovely and versatile dress. I really like how you paired in the first pic with the orangey sweater and grey tights.

    on a totally random note, I'm wearing a green dress today (in honor of st patrick's day), and I totally thought of your blog while getting dressed :D

    Lorispeak

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the way you styled the dress in the first pic. and awesome header :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment