fate, fast-fashion and a five-dollar fix...


I'm sure thrifters everywhere have had this dilemma- you bring a bag of clothing you've painstakingly decided to get rid of, drop it off at your local thrift store, and browse a little for something new.  You come across a pattern or colour that looks interesting, and realize it was actually your own sometime before?  I feel like this has happened to me so often- maybe even it's something I was only thinking of getting rid of, but there it is, hanging in the store.  Sometimes that helps me realize I actually don't need it anyway...sometimes it's hard not to just buy it back!  The stores are definitely full of fast fashion items these days- I have a beloved striped dress I bought maybe 8 or 9 years ago from Jacob that I wear all the time in the summer- I've since come across it second-hand a few times and have happily purchased a back-up 'copy'...

I was walking down to the Salvation Army this weekend, with a big bag of pants I never wear and a few sweaters I just don't love.  It was sunny, and warm, and all I could think about was the mint green pleated Old Navy skirt I had been looking forward to pulling put of storage.  I picked it up in the sale section years ago for about $7, and never wore it despite loving the fabric, colour and cut.  I think it was just too pale for me, and I was out of my sage/mint green phase by then.  Except now I am way, way, way back into the sage/mint green phase , and I was devastated to discover last weekend that I must have finally gotten rid of the skirt in some ill-conceived cleaning binge last fall.  sigh.

But then I walked into the Sally Ann, and what did I see on a hanger, swaying lazily in the breeze from the door?  A $5 second-chance at love. It's not even the one I donated- this one is a little snug- but even if I only wear it once, but at least I'll know I did my part!
J Crew smouldering brick cardigan, Le Chateau mint jersey tee, thrifted Old navy mint skirt, Aldo flats
 
I feel like I should be playing lawn tennis in this...if only the May showers would let up!

Comments

  1. Haha! Funny how that worked out. I'm glad you get a second chance with this beautiful skirt. It looks great with the rust cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a thrifter, but I can totally understand how this could happen. Guess you could also think of it as part of your donation to charity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny. What luck! It's a darling skirt on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh, sweet rust and mint. The colors are too fabulous. Hope you got to sing "Reunited" while wearing this skirt. That's some serious karma! If I had you to hold my hand, I'd brave thrifting. Maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you definitely look like a country club girl in this outfit. What a great story! I'm so glad you got your "second chance at love." I love a good love story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh you look so cute and preppy! I like the combo of colors.

    I have had that happen a few times where I've donated stuff then found it again and thought "hey this is cute! oh wait, it was mine!" haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I love the little skirt! And how funny to stumble across something similar to what you've sold and want to buy it again -- I feel like that would definitely happen to me if I actually cleaned out my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice colour combination in this look!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colour combination!! I'm glad you rediscovered that skirt! I know what you mean about buying something you once got rid of.... hello, Always A Lady skirt! I bought it, sold it, regretted doing that, and like 2 weeks later bought it on ebay again. Sigh. I don't get myself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. heh...maybe that's just what one does when one is "Always a Lady"...!

    Of course now I really have to see how I can wear this skirt, beyond grabbing a too-much-matching t-shirt out of the wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment