Slopestyle


Folks, I have to advise you- I am a mega-fan of the winter olympics.  I like to imagine myself as a determined cross-country skier, sliding through lonely nordic trails, between the trees and sunlight and blinding snow, skating those uphills, hearing the breath of some tough Norwegian gaining on me. Take that, Bjørn Dæhlie!  Of course, I do this from the comfort of my couch, surrounded by cat and snacks, while my magnificent Canadian team works it out for me! I love that in this internet age you can by-pass all the voice-overs and recorded highlights and watch these things in real time.  I have to find the excellent streaming of nordic events I found last Olympics.  In the meantime, I'm a fan of the new snowboard slopestyle event- incredibly graceful, laid-back and effortlessly airborne!

Here I am, with the tiniest tapered braid ever, trying to evoke a long-ago Norwegian ancestry.  I wore this outfit to work the other day, and was compelled to try and capture a little winter afternoon sunlight today, red nose and all! 

J Crew merino Fair Isle sweater, ON gingham shirt, vintage skirt, hush puppy boots
I picked up this gorgeous sweater during J Crew's post-christmas liquidation-I love the little white pom-pom details that were a surprise to me.  I love this nordic ski sweater style, and especially in this graphic black and white version!

So, I have been a long-time Russophile, ever since I discovered Dostoyevsky as an angsty 15-year old. I found some of the narrative elements in the opening ceremonies a little puzzling (I almost expected to see a ballet reenactment of the murder of the tsarist family, or a spy vs spy cold war roller derby), but it was still fun to experience those dreamy floating decorative cupcake domes, wild constructivist elements, and of course this adorable cat to represent the poet Pushkin...


 sigh. It's good escapist entertainment, especially since I was so excited about Sochi 4 years ago... Now when is Evgeni Plushenko skating again?

Comments