vintage velvets and winter florals


She's back...

It feels kinda nice to surreptitiously slip back in here.  I've been missing being able to look back and see the flow of favourite outfits, dumb obsessions, and those bits and pieces that make up a year in a life (even as the years pass increasingly effing fast...).  I do like being able to share images in the moment through instagram, but it does have its limitations.  I felt like I wanted some kind of combination of Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook.  Oh right- that blog thing...  Hope there are still a few of you out there!

Winter is a good time for this- you're trapped indoors, lusting after textures and colours, simultaneously cozy-knit obsessed and dreamily looking forward to Summer's gossamer and light cottons. I thought last week I would try and focus on pulling out winter florals, but it's also been desperately cold so it's been a time of dark jewel tones and cuddly fabrics.



I got this velvet skirt at a flea market in New York about 7 years ago.  It was a bit big and I remember sitting in the hotel room that night stitching up the side seams so I could wear it the next day. I then used the excess fabric to make tiny bows that are basically invisible.  I haven't worn it in a long time but I'm suddenly obsessed with velvet again! Since I'm also seeing velvets and corduroys slip back into the stores I guess it's time has also cycled around! I love the luxurious almost Russian pattern here, though when I first thought about adding the necklace it seemed a bit much for the workplace.  Well, I wore it anyway, and felt kinda great.  This collar has such a beautiful soft drape to it. The gems are all sewn on a floral fabric and it somehow seems to merge beautifully (and unexpectedly) with whatever it's paired with.  



Anthropologie Osona collar by Ranna Gill and vintage velvet skirt

So there you have it.  This blog reached the 5 year mark and then I abruptly disappeared for a year, but I hope I'm back! I had some interesting travels in 2015 that I'd like to revisit. I'm always dreaming of new dresses.  I'm also wearing a lot more vintage again. However when I'm not sewing things back together I still ramble over to Anthropologie regularly to check out the sale room!

Comments