frilly polka dots, and some crazy Crew sizing (sigh)

So here's today's outfit- since the winter weather broke today before resuming normal frosty temps tomorrow, I went for something lighter and fun.  I love this polka dot cardigan, and definitely don't wear it enough.  Here I'm wearing it with a frilly silk blouse I found in a lucky sale at UO this fall- I bought it in black as well and it's the perfect underlayer with a cardigan.  Throw in a Mimetic skirt and off you go to enjoy some spring weather (amidst 3 feet of snow).  I love the soft ivory colour of the silk with the grey and white dots!
J Crew polka dot cardigan, UO silk blouse, Anthropologie Mimetic skirt, teal tights, grey Camper shoes
On the other hand, I was so looking forward to receiving my J Crew order today.  I've been holding off on making many purchases this month, but when I saw the 20% off knits and free shipping last week I knew it was time to cave and get myself the striped button-back t-shirt for spring.  My autumn ochre fixation has mellowed to a pumpkin orange for spring, and this 'English saddle' colour looked perfect. I read some reviews (most helpfully chez Gigi of course) so confidently ordered the XXS knowing it would likely still be a loose fit.
***update- I thought I'd measured it as 17 inches lain flat, which is only slightly bigger than the listed measurement of 15 3/4 inches.  Turns out I suck at math and it's 19 inches across!!!  Writing to J Crew...***

Loose is right!  It fits me like a large medium!!  What a 'charming' cut!  I am seriously holding this out loosely here.  Well, a warning anyway-  I can't really return it, so into the dryer it goes and then a little visit to the sewing machine. 
(the rest of my order was the perfect fit striped boatneck in navy (perfect fit in XS), bright cinnamon Jackie (perfect fit in XXS) and a pink ruffled henley for 14.99 (the XXS is even a little snug!)

Comments

  1. Oh, aren't you darling in the soft grey polka dot cardi and frilly top. I seriously love that look on you. I remember that you aren't into anything too "cutesy", so kudos to you for wearing frills and polka dots at the same time.
    I was reading your post, and got to the bit about the jcrew stripe top, then i scrolled down further and chuckled when i saw how massive it looked on you. Certainly doesn't look like a small, let alone xxs. Hope the dryer would do the trick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I`m still drawn to the cutesy stuff, but I have to be wary since I look like a 12 year old...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top is WAY big!I want that top too. I am going to have to go to J. Crew and try it on though. Now that I saw your picture. J. Crew always fits too big on me. I usually have to size down on all of their clothing. I want the brown Colored one as well. They are SO SUMMER! With white Jeans Or white Shorts.But I adore the Polka dot cardigan. You know? I think I have the same exact one! I'll have to check but I'm 100% it's the same one. No wonder I loved it :) I may wear it with my Gray Double Serge Pencil Skirt....Thanks For the reviews :) You look Perfect as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cinnamon cardigan will look stunning with your coloring - excellent choice! I've had no luck with J Crew - always too small in the hips and bust but too big in the waist. Good luck with the shrinking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute outifit! I have that cardi and need to wear it now :)
    Wtf is up with that tee, xxs?! This is exactly why I cannot shop at JC anymore. It's like they're idiots

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I can't wait to get the mimetic skirt in the mail! That J Crew top is crazy big! I am in serious lust over the jackie cardigan, I think it's time to give in and make a purchase!You look great in the UO undershirt and J.Crew sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That polkadot top is fantastic, and will go perfect with just about anything.
    Love all your shpping.
    have a wonderful weekend, Sarah.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that UO blouse peeking out the top of the cardi. So good to see you in polka-dots. Somehow a polka-dot cardi has managed to escape my grasp completely. I need to get on that... And I seriously had to chuckle at your J.Crew order. I saw that striped English Saddle color in the store and ran right over to it; once on in the fitting room, DISASTER. You'll do something awesome with your sewing machine and it'll be better than the original. I also bought the Jackie in bright cinnamon and in the hawthorn green colors. For sure we were color twins separated at birth, clutching the same olive green baby blanket! Can't wait to see the bright cinnamon in action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big fan of polka dots and that cardi is especially cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the XXS? Oh my word. You are lucky that you have sewing skills!
    That said, your choices were great - you have good taste. I would want to buy everyone of those pieces.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link love. The cinnamon jackie is nice over English saddle. I have the stripe tank in saddle that was oddly available over the holiday season and they pair well. I think I have a similar white blouse from Anthro. What a great idea to put it under a buttoned cardi as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your outfit and the UO bib blouse is the perfect touch. I totally believe what happened with the sizing issue on that top. The colors are divine but the sizing is way off! As for your order- great finds! Clearly I'm a fan of the cinnamon-shaded Jackie and you'll just love it, and the ruffled tee is too cute! I feel like I never get it right w/J Crew sizing and really need to start trying on XXS, it just seems so small but the XS's are loose!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks guys- J Crew is paying for me to mail it back since it's defective. Seems like such a waste, and now I don't even have a shirt for my troubles! Tempted to just ask for a refund and sew it, but I don't know if they'd go for that...

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, super cute purchases! I love those items. =) It's too bad the yellow-striped tee is so big. I hate it when there's such a big discrepancy...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment