wearable art...

Michelle Morin- Instagram
Before winter sets in, I guess I ought to try and catch up with the fall season. (newsflash- it snowed today!) But first, a touch of the painterly and a little ode to fall flowers inspired by some recent loves... I know you've been wondering- what DID that girl pick up with a surprise 25% discount at Anthropologie? I mean, if a green silk gown didn't make it into this hoarder's array, what did? I thought I'd stick with some pretties I can wear every day, because my everyday's are long these days.

Well, I'm entering my habitual 'obsession with plant life' phase that usually begins just about the time that all the leaves drop off the trees (seriously, it's all pretty and colourful  and then one day, fwoosh, you look out the window and the trees are grey and naked). I pretty much only wear florals in winter.

 

My local store had this hiding between layers of nondescript pullovers, a  beautiful and delicately painted nighttime garden scene from artist Michelle Morin (check out her website here.  I loved the pastel colours and soft linear shapes against a black background.  And there was just one, in my size.  It's the last-item-in-the-vending-machine rule...sold! Plus it goes with everything from a tweed skirt (below) to mustard or...stripes...


Flamingo garden pullover, vintage tweed skirt, Chie Mihara oxfords
I've decided to add some of her prints to my Christmas list- beautiful and affordable!  Voila one of my absolute favourites:

Michelle Morin Wild Roses print

The incomparable Lulie Wallace is also finally offering some of her floral prints for sale- I think it only happens once a year. I wish I had found her sooner- I like the vibrant colours and harder edges of some earlier pieces.  But this is still pretty lovely- I adore the shape of these petals against stripes and geometric patterning. Maybe one day I could afford one of her paintings.  You know, if I stopped buying wearable art!

Lulie Wallace, Flowers for Jane

So, what else did I bring home, in this line-and-colour inspired mood?  I couldn't ignore the siren song of this swingy, watercolour-toned stripey skirt.  And it's a good thing I found it, because I think they sold out instantly at my store! It goes with literally every colour (including a subtle silver stripe...) and has a beautiful sway and drape.

 Elspeth sweater skirt

I went pretty simple for the first trip out of the house, just a simple dark brown sweater and brown shoes.  But the skirt speaks for itself.  With a little swirl of blurred colour and line.

J Crew Tippi sweater, Elspeth sweater skirt, Chie Mihara oxfords


I'm dragging myself off the couch tomorrow to take in two art shows, a book fair, a craft fair, and then mashing up a big batch of guacamole for movie night with friends. Whew- 'tis the season! Have a great weekend!

Comments

  1. Hi, love your blog, I also love your recent purchases! Gorgeous skirt and top. Ps. Did you get a petite or regular size for the skirt? I love the length on you and as I am also 5'2" was wondering which one to get. thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I am wearing a regular size small- I'm just a bit shy of 5"4 so I can usually get by without having to order petites. I would say there was some variation in the sizing- there was almost no difference between the small and medium, but the one XS was tiny and much shorter. But then one of the smalls was longer than the others- I don't know if that's helpful at all! :)

      Delete
  2. Okay. How cute are you? I love that first top especially! It reminds me of Elizabeth Gilbert's The Signature of all things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh- maybe I should read that! I have a weird obsession with Brit authors (to the exclusion of Americans) but I could try and make an exception here- I like the description of the story. Reminds me of Byatt's The Children's Book and Angels and Insects...

      Delete
  3. Love those picks. The skirt is so pretty, and I love the length and the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liana! I'm looking forward to playing with some different colour combinations!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you're ready for snowflake weather :)
    I'm so jealous of your stripey twirliness! Did you get the regular or petite size in the skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ready or not- the snowflakes are here! It was quite pretty today actually. :) This is the regular size of the skirt (it does kinda irritates me that Canadian stores have little tags advertising petite sizes on everything, but you can only try them by spending extra to order online. sigh)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous sweater and omg that skirt! I haven't been into Anthro much lately, but maybe that skirt could sway me... The colours are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both of your outfits. I did not look at that skirt in the catalog, but it is so amazing on you, it makes me want it. I love your twirl. So cute! and that sweater was made for you. I love that you found two pieces that are so inspiring.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment