ersatz anthropologie- horsey dresses!

Navy Banana Republic Ruffle cardigan (I love this!), vintage horse dress, purple tights, Chie Mihara bow oxfords
In the mornings, sometimes it's just a matter of sticking your hand in the closet and wearing whatever comes out!  That's not entirely true, of course, but it is pretty close to the method!  Recently, I realized I hadn't worn this dress in a little while, and I liked the idea of wearing a lighter colour in winter.

I love prints, especially repeating whimsical prints (albeit usually in simpler forms). When I saw this horse dress auction a few years ago on ebay, I was pretty thrilled to pick it up for $10 or so.  I think I've worn this year round, so it's remarkably versatile!

I call it my Muybridge dress, since it reminds me of the classic photographer's galloping horse series. 
Eadweard Muybridge
courtesy of wikipedia
Muybridge is known for his locomotion tracking photographs of animals and humans, and he famously proved with this series that while galloping all 4 hooves will leave the ground.  If only I'd known to study his work while obsessively drawing the same 3/4 profile horsey face for years in junior high (I became proficient with that one illustrative device but betrayed my ignorance when asked to draw a horse from any other angle!)

This dress also saved me from being truly heartbroken at missing out on a certain Andalusian Horse dress, that I realize I only loved for the pattern! The lesson for me, an ongoing one, is that I may desire something I see online but if I already own something similar a decision is going to have to be made!  Fortunately, my vintage selection has helped me out of a few dilemma's recently.  I think I may have a few more ersatz anthro items in the closet...
Anthropologie Andalusian Horse Dress
 oh, but it is cute- I love the girliness with the dark pattern!

Comments

  1. I like your description of pieces as being "ersatz anthropologie." I call those pieces "an-faux-pologie."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that print! I need shoe close ups though! Which ones are those?

    ReplyDelete
  3. good point, that these pieces inspire anthropologie in turn, but then roaming the internet for something to buy with my eyes it's so hard not to want!

    oh, and these be my 'christmas' chie miharas, Luar or somesuch, in a steely grey.

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_h2pLMs8nyn8/TR1JBZ8DGWI/AAAAAAAAAjw/VL_zRLUc0FI/s1600/chie.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed out on the Anthro dress too...lucky you to have a cute alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are cute, but I really love the white w/the dark horses. I can see you working that one in your unique way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have inspired me start shopping ebay more often. That green vintage dress, this horse dress, and for such great prices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Horses! That is too cute :) I like how you broke up the pattern with the cardigan too. You have a such a unique set of clothes, it is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great print (and price)! Love, love, love the shoes:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your horse dress!!! And I love the name you've given it! Good work! I also loved the Andalusian Horse Dress. I was stalking it for a while on the Leifsdottir site, but I didn't pull the Trigger. (See what I did there? That's a double entendre)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore your horse dress! I have a horse print dress from H&M but it is not nearly as cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This dress is so pretty. I recently saw one on ebay it sold for $144.00 It was nice but the price for me was a bit high :( But your has just a much if not more charm.You won't see anyone else wearing it that's for sure. This is definitely a find. I really like that it has long sleeves. I winner for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love that dress. It's so unique and fun. It's fabulous on you. I kinda have a thing for horses... 5 semesters of equestrian in college, just for fun. Awesome score.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful, wonderful dress. Love the print so much, ahhhhhhhhhhh
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Call me crazy, but I think I might like your vintage horse print dress better. I like the black on white, rather than the white on black. This outfit is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you give us a view of your closet sometime, because I bet it is filled with the most spectacular and whimsical prints and patterns! I love love this dress print!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this dress and the entire look you've created! The horse and jocket print is whimsical and on par with your style. No need to get the Anthro dress, and from memory, i recall it being over $200? your dress is the perfect substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE. THAT. DRESS. Ooooh, I do have the jealous bones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment