play misty for me...


So folks, inspired by the nigh-above zero temperature outside (and some increasingly snug pencil skirts) I rolled off the couch tonight and out for a run.  It was that kind of perfect experience that reminds you how great it can feel (the next will probably be one of those lead-footed, wooden leg experiences in contrast!).  I usually go quite late, around 9:30 or 10- that's usually when I have my second (or first) wind of the day.  Fortunately I live on the cusp of a ritzy, beautiful neighbourhood where the only crime risk would be of the white collar variety, and I think I'm safe from any rampaging stockbrokers in my taped-up sneakers, mis-matched gloves and 4-year old ipod nano!

Said ipod, bitter at lying unused for countless months, is suddenly giving me the 'white screen of death'- it still works but I can't see the menus.  However this was one of those great runs, where the shuffle just gives you exactly what you didn't know you needed!

Outside was dark and foggy, with a slight misty rain that only began once I was warmed up and ready for it.  From vintage De la Soul, through spaghetti western and Detroit soul, I was totally mellow until I hit the bottom of big hill #1, when Arcade Fire's Funeral was enough to carry me up with a smile on my face!  Another string of meditative pieces from Feist and some Japanese movie themes carried me up the long, long incline of hill #2 at which point I was totally going to walk for a bit.  Except the ipod, in its wisdom, knew it was time for its favourite- I had to laugh when Billy Idol's Mony Mony started!  so I kept running- my ipod adores Billy Idol.  On any given shuffle sequence at least 2 of the 4 songs in my collection will play (out of 1000 or so songs...) and then it was just a pleasant mix of Interpol, Metric and Pet Shop Boys until I got home.  sigh- let's hope there are more of these to come!

Listening to Ryuichi Sakamoto's heart-breakingly beautiful theme for Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind just makes me hurt for Japan- the beauty and destructive force of nature is such a powerful presence in all Miyazaki's films, alongside an ever-present fear of human technology and its dangers.  But then, that's been a theme in japanese film since 1945- from Godzilla to Kurosawa's Dreams (holy f**ing s**t- I'd forgotten about the whole nuclear disaster sequence...)

Comments

  1. Your taped up sneakers made me smile. They look well-loved, like a teddy bear. Glad you enjoyed your run. As for your iPod, try holding down the middle and the play button at once, for several seconds. That's worked for me in the past when my iPod works but the screen in frozen :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your run sounds great! I just got home from spinning class - it always feels good to work out, but I can't quite say I feel the same way you do:) Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, Sounds like Great run and a nice time to get re energized! I just joined a fitness club. Think I'm putting on some weight. At 5'2 one has to be careful :( I love Ryuichi Sakamoto. I love the song "Solitude" Your sneakers do look cute & Loved <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your run sounds great! I stopped running due to some ankle issues but it feels so darn good, doesn't it! I've definitely put on a few lbs this month and they need to be nipped in the bud.

    On the ipod front I've always had luck with the online apple help. It's a magical place where my ipod went to be fixed, until it gave me the screen of death that no ipod can come back from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taped up sneakers? So funny! If it makes you feel any better, i don't even own a pair of running shoes.
    Great mix of music on your iPod. I love Feist's music and saw her in concert a couple of years ago! I guess listening to your fave songs gets you moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miyazaki's films are on the list of my family's favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment