catching up- stalking etsy

Oh my, folks, I have not been very inventive lately (and in fact...true confession...I wore jeans and a blazer to work yesterday AND today.  I've, um, never done that before!)  I keep not quite managing to document my clothes before collapsing onto the couch, even when I'm happy with 'em!  heh, so, well, this is from last week sometime.  I finally received a replacement 'striped button-back t-shirt' from J Crew after the disastrous order in January.  I also treated myself to the 'camp pocket' cardigan at the same time, in this spring's gorgeous 'smouldering brick' colour.  It's a nice thin clingy knit, and the silk pockets are just dreamy!

With all those birthday 'wishes' purchased in March I'm holding back a bit for April (which means avoiding online temptations like the EA board and any Crew sales).  However I have been unhealthily obsessed with Anthropologie's Back Porch blouse so far this spring.


I liked it, and wishlisted it, and then saw it in a store styling post chez Roxy.  It looks so gorgeous layered over stripes! (J Crew t-shirt, I'm thinking of you...)


And then Kristin at Lovely Apidae went and reminded me how great it looks in real life, layered over yellow, while S at Delightful Find paired it with my other current obsession, the Ackee pencil skirt. I was utterly smitten (smoted, smot...).

Well, I have been stalking Etsy like a mo'fo for about 3 weeks now.  FINALLY I found what I was looking for tonight  I knew that the Back Porch blouse, beautiful as it looks online, would probably disappoint since I'm not so sure about the puffy sleeves for me and considering the cost, but since it recalls a vintage look I knew I had to be able to find one on Etsy.  Well, it took awhile (3 weeks is an eternity when you're craving something!) but this is definitely the one.  I can't wait til it arrives!  A part of me is still going to hanker after the Ur blouse (heh...maybe if it goes to sale).  In the meantime, I am one happy gal (hmmmm...maybe I can afford the Ackee skirt now...)


How do you manage your cravings- is it one thing at a time?   How do you make that distinction between loving from afar and needing in your life?

Comments

  1. I am impressed that you can stalk something so long. I've found that if I can't find an item within a week that the urge generally passes. This blouse was worth stalking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is so pretty. It is so Intricate I love the detail of the lace. Pretty good Sarah. seems like you did what was right for you. I totally know about stalking. I have waited a year for one of my most wanted. This seems like it was meant to be yours. And Yes,You can always change your mind :) I had to pass on the Decade to Decade Skirt. I'm still bummed about it. But We can't always buy everything we see. And I love your J. Crew top. I'm glad you took care of that situation :) Have a lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Etsy find is a very suitable substitute, and more in line with your vintage style than the back porch blouse.
    As for cravings, i only buy things that i REALLY LOVE (full price wise). If it's on sale i usually give in right away. I read somewhere that it's only a sale if you wanted it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color of you skirt especially with the cardi!

    That etsy blouse is gorgeous! I love the Anthro one too but the Etsy one is such a cool find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Anthro has some awesome pieces this season and that blouse is one of them, but I ADORE the one you chose. I have a feeling the sleeve length of the Anthro garment might be a bit awkward (just guessing) when seen on an actual person. Great purchase...but I know what you mean about the difficulty (but sometimes the necessity) of seeing the difference between the beauty of a garment and its actuality (on one's self, in one's closet).

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love love love lace blouses and lace dresses, sometimes i think everyone loves them as much as i do but then when they sit in my shop it makes me wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm diggin' the color palette of your outfit!

    Since I'm not shopping for attire this year, I have been avoiding feeding my cravings by not looking at catalogues or browsing online. I had to retrain all my habits, though, and it's taking some significant willpower not to pop over to Anthro now to check out that blouse and more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your outfit and congrats on getting j. crew in line! I won't be purchasing it (i don't think) but I'm also unhealthily obsessing about the back porch blouse. I have been for several months now. Kristin styled it so cute and I about died when I saw it with the decade by decade skirt. For me the sleeves would also be a negative (I don't need anymore shoulder emphasis) so I feel you there! That etsy option is really great option! The shoulders wouldn't be an issue and it's still full of lacy goodness! Plus if you can afford the pretty amazing ackee skirt as well I think your decision should be made!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks folks- I`m very pleased my (im)patience was rewarded. Oh and Lauren- I feel like the lacy lovelies you post are always gone by the time I get to the shop update!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the mention, Sarah! What a great Etsy find! It is beautiful! I can't wait to see you style it. I also love the Back Porch blouse over the stripes. I will have to give that a try.

    My shopping habits vary. Sometimes I see a piece and just know that I "have to have it" no matter what. Other times, I will pick something up on impulse and end up loving it. Quite a few of my favorite pieces are things that I just happened to pick up in the sale room, things that I never gave a second thought to online.

    Great OOTD as well. The colors go so nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uhhh...I usually go with my gut when it comes to deciding what I will buy. Sometimes I feel so guilty buying things I don't need. If I had a million dollars, this wouldn't be a problem :) I of course love a good striped T and you look so cute in this outfit. I need to know where those shoes are from :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look great in your OOTD! Love the colours :) I am really diggin the blouse you found - what a great piece. As far as my cravings go.... I generally stop myself from getting too excited and pulling the trigger for a full price item. I have learned my lesson too many times that things always end up on sale! Sometimes I just get caught up in the excitement over a piece, and then by the time it makes sale I don't even want it anymore. As a general rule, if something nice pops up I wait for at least a week before deciding if I actually need it or if I was just jumping on it cuz it was new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your style and your voice is so smart and funny. Speaking of birthday wishes...I saw you got the Amhara skirt...I did too but not sure i"m keeping...I wasn't as in love in person as on the web...loved the idea but the execution not sure...are you happy with yours? And what ideas do you have for wearing it, maybe I can steal some and fall in love w/this cute skirt :).
    Thanks,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. that olive skirt with the rust cardigan and that striped shirt look so fabulous together! I am excited to start following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look lovely, I want that skirt & that lace shirt!!

    savannah-joyofliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Sarah, I've nominated you for the I love this blog Award. If you check out my blog you can get the details. You do a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment