brown dress round-up

I love brown dresses.  I just can't help it, something about the incongruous prettiness of a dress in such a sensible old-timey colour.  I have several already in constant rotation, but the thirst was reawakened recently in a posting by Sally Jane Vintage.
Orla Kiely Fall 2010 Wool Flannel Shirtdress

And now I want one too...so I've been scouring etsy and ebay for the right substitute dress, with no luck. I even have several vintage patterns I would consider making this dress for myself, but I can't find that just right shade of  sickly brown wool.  sigh.  However I have located some other brown lovelies that I will NOT purchase for myself because they are not this dress.

vintage 1930s brown lace bias cut dress, $280


1950s/60s Mocha Silk Secretary Dress, L , $75

Vintage Brown Pumps in Original Box, $24

Brown polka-dot cotton dress, early 1950s, $125

Vintage 1970 Brown and Camel Wool Tweed Dress, $24

vintage BROWN SUGAR day dress, $56

vintage 1960s OLIVE MEDALLION wiggle dress, $64

1960's CAMEL BROWN shirt dress, $42

Vintage Misses Juniors Dress or Jumper Pattern, $5.30

 And while this dress is also cute, I find the setting truly mysterious and alluring!  What story does this have to tell...

Taupe Sweater Dress with Diamond Knit Accents, $70

Comments

  1. beautiful choices, i love that dress by capricious traveller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omgoodness, i love these dresses!
    The Orla one is so cute. I'm going to check out the Orla website now!
    The secretary dress is gorgeous as is the polkadot one. Reminds me very much of the Sterling Cooper office!
    Btw - i can't get over how big your cat is! i keep looking at that picture and can't help but smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dresses.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too adore brown dresses. I have a few of them and always joke that I look like a stylish orphan of the Great Depression when I wear them. I think my favorite of the above bunch is the Orla Kiely one. Man I love everything that brand touches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the lace dress and the pumps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, these dress are very nice, but none is like the Orla.

    Ilike the shoes very much, hopefully I find some other pair and just in my size.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dagnabbit- you people are not helping me one bit with my need to distance myself from the Orla dress...!!! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That brown lace number is gorgeous! And the color makes it seem day appropriate - but I bet that piece would be fun to layer and style with other colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi nice to meet you. Love every single one of these. When you're wearing Brown you can take every bow and belt and bit of glitz thrown at you...nothing is too much. Love the silk secretary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, What an amazing collection of yummy brown. I love brown. Probably one of my favorite colors. But if I had to pick my favorites it would be the Vintage Brown Pumps, The Brown Sugar day Dress and the Camel Brown shirt dress. And I always think the same thing about stuff....What stories would they be able to tell? Hmmmm? Nice

    ReplyDelete
  11. dammit! you're fueling my addiction for brown! Now I feel like I NEED brown in my wardrobe. After all, I'm a brown eyed gal, so they'd match my eyes. *Cringe* I know, I know, I am a cornball.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment