a gingham gal...


Ah, all this talk about the end of summer...but you know what?  It's still sunny and warm, and even after labour day it still feels *mostly* appropriate to wear sandals... so I'm gonna stick with some more summer!

A summer staple has to be a gingham shirt- it's such a perfect crisp layer with a printed skirt, and I'm always on the hunt for the perfect mix of fabric, cut and colour.  Hands-down my fave shirt is the caramel Buffalo Check from J Crew circa 2011 (seen here).  If they made this over and over (and over) again I would buy it over and over again (at full price!).  Unfortunately the gingham shirts I've tried since then just haven't fit quite right, and I haven't seen the same quality of light, smooth cotton.  Enter Old Navy.  Normally their button-ups aren't the best fit, even though they always have a great selection of colours.  Well, this tomato-red/orange gingham is perfect- from the moment I touched it on the hanger I knew it was going to be a new essential!

Old Navy gingham shirt, Anthropologie Apothecary skirt, Hush Puppies wedges, all in glorious cottage country...

Of course, it also makes a great cover-up with a dress for those cooler nights after the sun goes down...
 
Gap dress in varsity green, Old Navy gingham shirt
So, while I was packing for vacation earlier this summer, I thought I was being fairly reserved for only packing two gingham shirts...and then I realized I brought this gingham dress too!  Oh well...This is why we love gingham: it's appropriate for work, and for play!

Vintage gingham dress, orange patent belt, thrifted wedges (with gingham laces!) 

Comments