job...satisfaction?


Ah perspective...it really just jumps in and whomps you on the head sometimes.  And though it's rarely a permanent adjustment, a memory of the clarity usually lingers within the chaos.  I've been pretty stressed trying to keep up with work- an increasingly bizarre cycle where you're fighting to make things happen but all anyone wants is time-consuming reports about why it isn't happening.  sigh.  

I somehow ended up all in black this morning, which is a bit rare for me, but there's a cozy familiarity about it that helps project a hint of calm.  By the end of the day I was exhausted, physically and mentally, almost literally swamped by piles of paperwork whilst trying to hammer through a few emails that might lessen the burden tomorrow. It's easy to forget why I love books and bookstores when there are so many ridiculous administrative headaches associated with procuring these beautifully crafted and specially selected objects.  However in the last few minutes of the day, a very courageous man ignored my furrowed brows and frantic typing to smile and kindly ask if I could help him with a special gift for his daughter.  He was so caring and enthusiastic about the books that I recommended for her that I think we both came away feeling great.  I love how a happy ending can overcome so much! And I love my job :)

Vintage striped dress and Chie Mihara Ramsita oxfords (Chie makes me VERY happy)
I may have been predisposed to a little attitude adjustment.  I attended a lecture by the founder of Architecture for Humanity last night, and he was such a down-to-earth and positive guy.  He has this ability to inspire confidence, making the most daunting situations of poverty and loss seem like opportunities for real change and hope and fun and long-term community building.  Very cool.  They operate by one very simple and awesome motto: don't work with assholes, don't work for assholes, and don't take money from assholes. Like.

I also take inspiration from this furry little buddy, who has the ability to put problems in perspective too...
oh yeah, sure I was diabetic for a couple of days, and you was all worried, but now I have all the vets shaking their heads in disbelief, because I am just that cool a cat. oh yeah. sleeping with my mouth open...

Comments